What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You

Smoke Detector Fire Alarm Burning Safety P

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a significant public health concern. More than 10,000 are poisoned by carbon monoxide requiring Lakeland FL Wildlife Control; more than 500 people in the U.S. die a year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

CO is found in fumes generated whenever you burn fuel in automobiles or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up inside and poison people and animals who breathe it.

The most frequent symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, fatigue, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. If you breathe in lots of CO it can cause you to pass out or kill you. Individuals that are drunk or sleeping may die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.

So, how do you prevent CO poisoning in your residence?

Place your sensor where it will wake you up if it alerts, such as outside your bedroom. Replace your CO detector every five decades.
Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician each year
Don’t use portable flameless chemical heaters inside.
If you smell an odor from your gas fridge have a specialist service it. An odor from the gas fridge can mean it may be leaking CO..
When you purchase gas equipment, purchase only gear carrying the seal of a national testing service, like Underwriters’ Laboratories.
Make sure that your gas appliances are vented properly. Horizontal vent pipes for appliances should go up slightly as they move toward outdoors. This prevents CO from leaking if the pipes or joints are not fitted tightly.
Have your chimney cleaned or assessed annually. This may cause CO to build up within your house or cabin.
Never use a gas stove or oven for heating. With a gas stove or oven for heating can result in a build-up of CO within your house, cabin, or camper.
Regardless of the comparatively low cost, security checks have revealed that fewer than one in ten houses had a carbon monoxide detector.

Being informed about the possible hazards of carbon monoxide poisoning and embracing some proactive security measures can help prevent unnecessary damage to you and your nearest and dearest.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *